I’m super excited this weekend as in three sleeps (yes, I have young kids so countdown in sleeps), I’ll be jetting off on a plane (or rather two) to the Gold Coast to the annual Romance Writers of Australia conf. To say I can’t wait is an understatement. The only reason I haven’t packed yet is that I have little space in my house to keep the suitcase out and also because this weekend, I’ve made a quick trip south with my Mum to visit my darling Gran who is 93 and not very well.
But as soon as I get home tonight, it’s all systems go for packing and organising my trip away. I’m going for four and a half days but probably need about twenty outfits in that time. The conference is just so jam-packed with goodness and socialising and learning. From Thursday morning (when my first ever Author Day begins), I’m busy almost non-stop. One friend on Facebook said she might have to book time to have a shower and I know exactly what she means. I’m working out when I’ll have time simply to wash and straighten my hair But I’m not complaining at all!!
It’s only once a year I get to get together with my writing friends and I want to make the absolute most of it. This year, I’m particularly looking forward to:
- The ARRA book-signing event because it’ll be the first time I’ve ever been on the signing side of the tables.
- The Harlequin dinner and catching up with my publisher.
- Seeing my bestest writing friends and just spending some time talking (okay and drinking) with them.
- On Friday I’m spending the morning at the day spa with Cathryn Hein and Fiona Lowe and this is something I’ve been looking forward to for months.
- The Awards Dinner on Saturday night, which is a time to celebrate the achievements of RWA members, and eat and drink!
- Meeting friends I’ve met on Facebook and Twitter this year but have not yet met in person. There’s a few I’ll be giving a massive hug to when I first spot them
- The workshops – and gleaning wisdom from well-established authors.
I promise to update Facebook and Twitter regularly with what’s happening at conference and I’ll TRY to remember to take photos to share as well. Before I go, I’ll leave you with a few photos from previous confs, to get us ALL in the mood:
Conf 2011, pre cocktail party with Becca J Heath, Jackie Ashendon, and Robyn Thomas
Drinks at a conf – can’t remember which one
Awards Dinner – my fab table – RWA conf 2011.
Me with the fabulous Cathryn Hein